Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week 7 Reading Notes

Google Video

I love Google!!! This video is amazing! I have never seen the creators of Google, didn't know they were so young! With their funny but highly informative presentation they managed to explained what Google is about and the different projects they work with. I wonder if there is an up-dated version of the video since it was filmed in 2004 and since then Google has been pioneering and working with some cool stuff!

How Internet Infrastructure Works

This article was very helpful in providing basic explanations of how the Internet works. Reading this article made me think about Barabási's Linked and his discussion about networks. Reading this information enables you to actually stop and think about how a system of this kind works. The day has 24 hours and from those 24 hours I can say that I'm online more than half of the day either through my phone or computer but I usually don't stop to think about how the connections actually works. I can't say that I have a complete understanding of all the protocols that run the process but with this article I can at least have a basic understanding of IP addresses, Routers, NAP's, servers and URL's.


Integrated Library Systems

After reading this short article a question still lingers in my head: Why is interoperability in libraries more a myth than a reality?

4 comments:

  1. Sherry,
    We must be sharing the same thinking bubble this week: The article on Internet Infrastructure also made me think about the various different networks that were discussed in LINKED. In addition, I also had a lot of questions after reading the Integrated Library Systems article. However you point out a really good one and I wonder how much things have changed since this article was published in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought the internet infrastructure article was particularly helpful for visualizing the type of network functionality that Barabasi talked about in LInked.

    Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a way to try and streamline the courses we're in so that the readings in the core courses are presented in a more timely/related fashion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right on target about connecting this week's LIS2600 reading with Barabasi's book. I also made the connection while reading about how the computer networks communicate. I suppose this article provides for a more concrete, literal explanation, while Linked provides us with a more figurative analogy approach of thinking about how the internet actually works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the video was very informative and helpful. It was interesting to see where the highest user points were in the world. As I mentioned on another's blog, I tried looking for a map similar to the one shown in the video but could not. What did you make of the Ads? Do you think that it is helpful or uncanny that Google knows exactly where you are when you search?

    ReplyDelete