Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Week 6 Reading notes

Common types of computer networks (YouTube Video)


Listening to an actual person explain different kinds of networks proved to be more entertaining and clarifying than reading the Wikipedia articles. I found particularly interesting his explanation of PAN networks where you have a basic computer network between your computer, printer or PDA. I've been planning to enable my Remote Desktop Mobile, will that be considered a PAN network? My knowledge of networks was basically LAN or WAN (and that is knowledge of existence not of how they actually work) so the video is very helpful.

Computer network and Local Area Network wikipedia articles


My comment for these two readings is going to be brief because I was overwhelmed with all this talk of layers, protocols, wired technology cables, etc. Again, I have a basic understanding of LAN and WAN as computer networks that will help share different resources with your peers or co-workers but the actual explanation with the technical jargon is to much for me to understand. That being said, even though I didn't actually catch some of the important terminology the section of Types of Networks was enlightening and made me think of all the potential uses and benefits computer networks have. The development of LAN networks was interesting as well: "1983 as the year of the LAN". WOW I wasn't even born!


Management of RFID in Libraries


I have strong security concern with the use of this type of technology for Libraries or for other environments. But as the author clearly states Libraries should not completely ignore new emerging technologies but should weigh their benefits with the operational system of the institution itself. If RIFD chips are eventually going to replace bar codes, what are we supposed to do then? Will other technologies emerged before that happens?

3 comments:

  1. Sherry, I certainly agree with you about the YouTube video. It really just made the whole concept a bit clearer. And also goes to show that YouTube can really be a great teaching tool, which I really hadn't given much thought to before this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support the view to embrace technology into the library, however I share the view that the library should employ technological tools, which provide secure access to library collections and protect patron’s privacy. Most of the technological tools have a very short life span. Example: a computer needs to be changed every 3-4 years. "Old computers and gadgets" could be used longer, but they are not efficient and compatible with other tools as newly developed techniques that emerge increasingly in the market. Consequently, any new technological tools implemented into any business involve expenses which sometimes outweigh the benefits. I think each library has to take to attention the size of their collections, number of patrons they are serving, and libraries budget in order to decide the implementation of RFID tags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the video helped clarify the different types of computer networks. The Wikipedia articles have been a little difficult to understand, so it helps when we have a source that explains everything clearly, and makes it all seem simple!

    ReplyDelete