Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Notes on Information Literacy and Information Technology Literacy

 This article provides  basic, clear and easy to understand  definitions of what is Information Literacy and Information Technology Literacy; most important and what I found most interesting is that it explains why it's important for human beings that are not specifically studying computer science or computer-engineering science, to have knowledge on these forms of literacy. As a Humanities/English/Archives student, or I could say as a student alone, there are numerous of times when my laptop has shut down or I can't download programs that are essential for my educational experience, any just minor technological problems that limit the effective outcome of my daily projects and tasks that I have to perform using a machine and using the Web. Given my bad luck I started to try to master some skills in the use of different tools but realized that most of the time I just needed to know why that particular problem was happening in order to understand how it could be resolved. I wanted to do my own trouble-shooting! This article confirms my thoughts and beliefs on the importance of having knowledge, basic as it might be, of information technology literacy:

"Information technology literacy limited to a set of largely route skills will limit not only career opportunities but also one's ability to function intelligently in society" (Lynch 1998, 4)

1 comment:

  1. I too began to take charge of my defenseless ignorance on troubleshooting when my old laptop kept getting "sick" with adware and spyware. I read up on user friendly DIY troubleshooting and with the guidance of an online tech support guy through this program I downloaded I totally combated a couple of spy wars. Though eventually I got tired of it (my computer was 7 years old), and I bought a new one :)

    ReplyDelete