Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Welcome to my collaboration space for LIS 2600

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Linux

Before reading the Introduction to Linux all I knew about the system was that it features a funny penguin and that if I saw that penguin in some computers or laptops it was likely that they were running Linux. It seems very interesting the way the operating system was developed and how its popularity has increased over the years. In the Social Life of Information the authors discuss that while some of the pros that Linux offers such as the ones mentioned in the reading (free, stable, portable) are important, one crucial thing to consider is the way it was developed: by different coders and people that integrated their knowledge. This was built within a spectrum of social interactions. I have friends that use Linux and they can't seem to go back to the "old ways" of Mac and Windows. Maybe I should try it and see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment